Since 1933, the World Petroleum Congress has been conducting major conciliar aims, and counselling tasks for its members, and for some many corporations, governments as well as private and public sector people and organizations.
The WPC was initially formed by several businessmen and companies who were in the petroleum industry, trading, working and advising governments and companies. It was set to promote facilitation, consultation and convening among petroleum industry’s major influential participants. Gradually it was expanded, invited new member-countries, and collaborated with a variety of private and public sectors in the world.
WPC’s Main Targeting: What to aim at and how to achieve the goals.
WPC has set out its aims internally and externally in relation with the markets and the condition of petroleum industry worldwide.
It consists of functional and operational targets for the WPC and its members.
Some of the aims include:
- Sharing knowledge in the field of petroleum industry with members
- Advancing and promoting training and educational assistances
- Maintaining electronic libraries and research facilities for the public
- Solutions for global petroleum challenges
WPC is an NGO that does not act mandatory on the petroleum industry but rather as an advising forum and assemblage of participants to provide promotion and assistance to the members.
The World Petroleum Congress is held every three years as the Olympics of Petroleum Industry, and let all conjoin the forums and the panels which are discussed and distributed among participants. The major talks are regarding the upstream and downstream of petroleum industry, gas industry and relevant issues for the members.
WPC’s Vision and Mission: What to seek for and how to define its tasks.
WPC attempts to remain a leader in the petroleum industry as a forum for discussions and participation, for all members and non-members like stakeholders in financial markets, and retain stance in the field of petroleum industry.
As regards the mission of WPC, it has set several major tasks, some of which are as follows:
- Information about the members of petroleum industry and the industry itself
- Clear picture of the markets
- Knowledge dissemination via congress, publications, seminars, and the like
- Platform for dialogue amongst the members and non-member participants
Values of WPC:
- Safety and security
- Unbiased, meticulous and clear views and discussions
- Integrity and diversity in all actions, talks and collaborations
Principles of WPC:
- Focusing on major crucial problems and projects
- Visionary thinking for the future of petroleum industry
- Intelligibility and accessibility for all members
Apart from the triennial WPC congress, WPC has several regularly-conducting meetings, consultations and forums such as the WPC Youth Forum.
The Strategic tasks of WPC Youth Forum:
- Communicating within the forum and with external private and public sector organizations and people
- Encouraging the youth and new participants to join WPC
- Cooperating with stakeholders
- WPC legacy fund to benefit communities and individuals in this field
The Council is the governing body of the World Petroleum Council which convenes once a year. Its global membership elects the President and an Executive Committee every three years to develop and execute its strategy. The Council also selects the host country for the next World Petroleum Congress from the candidate countries. To ensure the scientific and topical quality of the event the Council elects a Congress Programme Committee whose members are responsible for delivering high-level content for its congresses.
WPC has several committees, each aiming at specific sectors of the markets and society, depending on the needs and operations of that sector.